Thursday, December 4, 2008

New Chapter

So I'm taking a step to turn my passion for music into good use. I can no longer keep my theories, revelations, and new discovery of music or hot new joint anticipation in the dark anymore. So for those who really know about what or who I discover or just want to know the music I'm feeling nowadays, just come on by.

So last night at work, we had the annual volunteer recognition event. It's been a pretty long day, so my co-workers decided to drink at Growlers and invited me in the process. Even though I've lived in Gaithersburg for a year, I have never stepped foot in this place, even though it's 10 min. away from the house. Maybe I just like going into DC more. Growlers is a type of restaurant/ bar which the locals go to, I guess. Unlike my usual social persona, I opted for water instead of some gin and tonic or a beer. Maybe it was a good thing, since the place seemed dead (it was around 8-9ish) and I still had my AmeriCorps t-shirt on =P.

It was open mic night at Growlers, and I'm starting to learn open mic for various venues doesn't always mean EXHALE (which includes spoken poetry, just like college days, sigh). Last night, it was more an easy music/ chill kind of scene and this guy was the only one at the mic. I didn't catch his name at the beginning, but according to the Growlers website, I'm assuming his name is Jon Blank (even though I swear it was Stranger).

Well Mr. Whatever-his-name-is had a really great voice and great improv skills. Some songs came on from the jukebox, including Jazmine Sullivan's "Bust Your Windows" and for him to create some melodies to go along with the song was hot. Mr. Whatever-his-name-is played great reggae covers and he did get a chance to play one of his own songs, which was hot. Very Jason Mraz-ish. I didn't record any of the music this time, but it's only the beginning.

Oh and one more thing, I can't wait until the Grammy's. I was already hyped up about AMA's, which was great this year, but still cannot believe they hosted a live Grammy Nominations Concert last night. Either the Grammy's want more exposure or give the community more music to listen to, I think it's definitely hyping up this coming Grammy awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment